Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Off the Beaten Path



Happy holidays! This was on my mind after taking the last Prelim examination on 2011. I have a lot of laidback plans for the holiday vacation just to be different from my usual hectic days. But when I and my group mates received an approval message from a DSWD officer, the one we have been courting for almost a month or so, my plans fluctuated. We were reminded of the things we need to do for our thesis. Since our thesis is all about the attribution of Juvenile Delinquency to Sex and Violence in Media, it would be best to coordinate with the authority. So we headed to the DSWD Region XI Field Office and were oriented of the steps we have to take in order for us to continue with our study. Suzanne and Arcy, my thesis group mates and I set or schedules and planned for the days we’ll be spending together.
While most of our classmates were on their hometowns and others were busy on the malls dashing to prepare stuffs for Christmas, we were on our busy road heading to the most integral spot of the fulfillment of our thesis. On a cold morning of December 22, 2011, I together with my group mates were leaving for a place we have always heard of but we have never been – Mintal. The location is situated 761 kilometers south east (149°) of the approximate center of Philippines. Whiz kid of me? Nope! I just got the aforementioned information from the web. We took a swift jeepney ride, way off from what we have expected to be an hour or so travel. While on the ride, I was looking on the road and making sure that we’ll be able to stop at a market, which was the instruction of the DSWD officer. My eyes




were fed with different unusual sights, my hair was fluttering with the wind that the jeepney express was causing and my ears were eavesdropping to the local rap tunes playing on the stereo. The whiff of the trees was also starting to mingle with me.
We reached an area which seems like a little city, there were a lot of people, motor side cars, food stalls and commercial stores. We asked the jeepney barker if we were already at the market, he corroborated our inkling. We then stepped out of the jeepney and motor side car drivers approached us. We asked them if they can bring us to the DSWD center (that was the only information we knew). The other drivers refused because they were not familiar with it. The only driver who took us brought us to the locale’s health center. We asked the health workers and they directed us to go to the barangay hall next to them where the CSSDO staff were. We were entertained by a CSSDO member for us to learn that we still haven’t reached the peak of the trek, the DSWD center we’re looking for which is called as RRCY or Regional Rehabilitation Center for the Youth is located a few kilometers away from where our feet were currently planted. “Sa Bagoshero to! Kani sakay mo ug motor. Manong, sa Bagoshero sila,” the officer helped us talk to the motor side car driver. He replied, “Sige. Sa Bagoshero? Tag diyes ang ulo didto, ma’am.” Okay! We agreed. Just take us there, it’s fine.
I was riding at the back of the driver and I still had a chance to grab my phone and take some photos on our way to the mystical place (as we would laugh about it). On our way my eyes were wandering around, I saw a lot of green and brown creations. The trees, the leaves, grasses, farm animals and huts are opposite to the busy streets and colorful lights of the metro. We agreed to the feeling that tickled our senses, it feels like the province. The reek of nature was evident. It was like everything surrounding us was green and brown, leaves, trees and the soil.
After almost 5 minutes, we finally reached what we were looking for. Alas! The security guard welcomed us in and all the other officers were accommodating. I paused in holding my phone just to take photos, it’s prohibited inside. We were brought to their office and there we were able to sit down and talk to their Center Head. We arranged our schedule of activities. We feared of not spending our Christmas at home so we concurred of having our next visits after the 25th. The timetable is now fastened. To my mind, the plan was kind of wrecking my slipshodness but it was outweighed by the apprehension of not being able to finish our thesis on time. Then, we left the place and said “See You next week!” The other workers at the center thought that we were On-The-Job trainees and we’d really be regular at the center.
While outside the gateway, I took the moment to take pictures. Good that one worker accompanied us outside while waiting for a motor side car to bring us to the highway. I asked for a favor and he took my phone and captured this photo.
Since it was already taking us long to wait, we opted to take a few steps away and thought that perhaps along the walk we’ll have a ride. We haven’t noticed how far we’ve already been as surrounding us was a panorama of nature and a vista of simple living. There were also hilarious bits and pieces that we have noticed. This park which was named after a vernacular term for “poor” with a signboard posted at the gate which reads “No Caroling, Crisis!”
I took the pleasure in pacing our way to the corner of the long street where we can have a ride to the main road.
3 days after, subsequent to my father’s birthday, our Christmas Eve preparations and the anticipated Christmas celebration on the day itself, we headed back to the center. We arrived earlier as we did last time. We underwent another briefing but this time with our thesis interview respondents. They are male minors who are in conflict with the law, instead of having them imprisoned in public jails, they stay in the
center for rehabilitation. There were five of them. There is uneasiness deep within me but I waited for their voices to be heard before I considered my off-putting thoughts.
That was on the 26th of December when our whole day was all about talking to the five of them which later in the afternoon, another respondent was added to our interview. I easily got along with them as I was listening to their stories on how their lives evolved before the gates of the RRCY and why they were brought to the center. It was a day filled with realizations for me, for someone who is out in the city with my family and friends, going to school and claiming that I have never been into my own little crimes.
As the day starts to close, the raindrops haven’t ceased to pour. I was thinking that we’re still far from the city proper, it will be a lengthy road ahead. While waiting for a motor side car to fetch us, we were chatting with the center’s security guard. My eyes were meandering once more. Then it went on reading the address inscribed at the topmost of the RRCY’s structure – Bago Oshiro, Tugbok District, Davao City. I was a bit baffled with “Bago Oshiro”, it sounds like “Bagoshero”, the place we’ve been hearing from people around the vicinity. I was laughing so hard and told Arcy and Suzanne about it. They joined me in laughter. All along, we thought that the place we’re at is spelled as “Bagoshero” as how we would always hear the inhabitants speak of the place. But we were wrong, it’s “Bago Oshiro”. We went our
way home hurting our stomachs out of much hilarity. Though the streets were slippery because of the whole day drizzle, we were just on smiles.
That was one heck of a droll experience to me and to the three of us. The next day, we went back to conduct final group
discussion with the six of them in the center, we were kind of hesitant if we have to say “Bago Oshro” or just the accustomed way of saying the name of the place, “Bagoshero!” A simple misunderstanding on the pronunciation, but that made the whole travel splendid. Still, I was able to say “Happy Holidays!” 

No comments: